The Myths and Facts of Getting Good Fast
When any dancer decides they would like to pursue Lindy Hop more seriously they inevitably want to “get good” really quickly, and through this desire many people fall prey to comparing themselves to other dancers. The fact of the matter is that some people learn faster than others; I would like to help give you a boost by dispelling some of the myths and half truths of fast improvement and give you a couple tips on how to jump start your own improvement.
#1 Trained dancers have a big advantage
#2 I need to take all the classes!
#3 I need a dance partner to practice
#4 Some people just have “it”
#5 What are they doing that I am not?
- Social dance, social dance, social dance!
- Put in the hours – be they in classes, practicing, or social dancing there is no substitute
- Practice smart – figure out what you need/want to work on and be dedicated in getting it where you want it to be
- Diagnose your strengths and weaknesses – a teacher or friend can help with this
- Write it down – keep a “Lindy Journal” of what you did in class, or make a cheat sheet of the things you are focusing on and consult it every time you dance
- Think and talk about it – think about or discuss lindy hop every chance you get, dancing is not just a physical practice it is really important to get other people’s opinions on it, so geek out hardcore!
- Set some goals – once you figure out what you need to work on set some goals so you have something to shoot for
- Teach someone – there is no better way to boost your understanding of the dance than trying to pass on your knowledge even if you do not yet know that much yet
The Buzz Blogger